Friday 23 July 2010

Heal, heel

I've been suffering a bit recently.

...

Sympathy over?

Well I can reveal that it must have been self-inflicted.

For my birthday party (barbeque) I bought a new pair of boots to go with my new jeans and shirt. I thought I'd better wear them before the day, so wore them on my actual birthday walking to the pub (well, local Thai Restaurant) and back. On the way there, the left boot felt uncomfortable, so I loosened it a bit and ended up with a raw and bleeding heel.

On the day of my birthday party, I wore a pair of trainers that I knew did not really support my feet properly, but never thought twice about it. For the evening, I put back on the new boots (with a plaster where the heel was rubbing). When I took them off, my tendon was tender, but again, I thought nothing about it.

Anyway, the next time I went for a jog I came back feeling almost lame in my left leg. I blamed everything but the new boots, but a week or so later after continual stints of resting, exercising, limping and walking in the new boots, I discovered that in the heel of the left boot at the top on the inside, something was sticking out from the seam which was a sharp point responsible for (at least) the initial pain.

I've had the boots replaced (thanks, Amazon), but I still have not totally got rid of the sensation in my left tendon that it is not quite right. It even appears to be not quite straight, but difficult now to do a "before and after" check. I'll carry on with a combination of rest and exercise (managed to run 5 miles last weekend for the first time since this started), but it really does show how important it is to look after your feet and ankles, especially if you want to rely on them for exercise.

So, please heal, heel! And really soon, as I don't want to have to keep thinking that I might not be able to run as far as the rest of my body is able to.

Let us pray. O Lord, give me patience. Now!

No comments: